Monday, March 26, 2012

"My Education in Five Chapters"


My Education in Five Chapters   




Chapter 1


My education begins.

I learn the faces of my parents,

and their moods.

I learn the basics: how to crawl, how to stand,

how to walk, how to speak.

I learn “please” and “thank you.”

I learn to ride a bike, smash a bug,

catch a fish, throw a ball.

I learn to make friends.

Chapter 2


Formal education takes control.

In public school,

I learn to read, to write, to do math.

I learn to fill out worksheets and take tests.

Teachers add rules

and expand my views.

Classmates add more rules.

I learn to share,

to show-and-tell, to put my things away.

I learn to stand in line, toe the line,

and cross the line.

I learn that good citizenship is hard work.

And I learn that I can get as much or as little

from my education as I desire.







Chapter 3


I follow the expected path: a college education.

Independent for the first time,

I learn to make my own rules,

to suffer my own consequences.

Class work guides me toward a career,

but life itself guides me toward adulthood.

I learn to balance my own checkbook,

do my own laundry, take care of my own car.

I learn to live away from home.

I also learn firsthand

that relationships can begin and end.

I learn that heartache hurts.





 


Chapter 4

An irony occurs:
The problem child becomes a teacher,
and he learns in the process
that no one escapes the need for education.

As an educator, I learn to teach others—
Some of whom
are as resistant to education
as I once was.
As an educator, I learn
that teaching is learning—
that, indeed,
learning may be the best part of teaching.





Chapter 5

The most recent revelation
in my education
arrives in the form of fatherhood.

I change diapers, feed hungry infants,
comfort them when they wake from bad dreams
or cannot sleep at all.
I sing them songs, read them stories,
build them snow forts,
hold the fenders of their bikes
as they try to learn to ride.

I discover
that my own parents were smarter
than I believed possible.
My children teach me
as much as I teach them.

I learn that the very cycle of life

keeps education alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment